In April 2022, the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) identified a significant increase in the demand for offices in the UK, with a particular uplift in the rental of prime office spaces. The RICS Commercial Property Market Survey found that “investor demand rose from a net balance of +5% at the end of 2021 to +23% in Q1 2022”.
This change has been influenced by the post-pandemic shift towards returning to work, and has benefited the construction sector as the development of offices across the UK picks up. According to Specification Online, in the first quarter of 2022 office projects in London accounted for more than half of the new project starts, while approvals rose by more than 20% in the North West compared to the previous year, to £211m.
What do workers and employees want from their office space?
The growing office sector is not, however, just about building structures to accommodate workers. Employees are far more discerning about where they work than ever before. They want to be inspired by working in fresh, airy and bright modern offices that are comfortable and inviting, and spend their working days in surroundings that benefit their wellbeing.
For employers who want to meet these needs while accommodating a combination of office-based staff, home and hybrid workers, it is essential that new office spaces are adaptable.
Achieving these conditions for all stakeholders requires innovative office design. In 2022 one of the most significant office design trends is the use of glass and glazing products.
Onlevel glass and glazing products
Onlevel is a global brand. We are designers and manufacturers of innovative glass and glazing products and architectural hardware, including for glass balustrades and partitions.
The need for adaptable spaces in the growing office sector is where our glass products and systems add unique value to new office builds.
Why is glass so popular in prime office developments?
• Glass allows plenty of natural light to reach all areas of an office which is known to be beneficial to mental wellbeing.
• Offices separated by glass partitions are given an illusion of space. This is particularly useful for offices that have smaller rooms.
• Staff, management and visitors enjoy a sense of transparency and collaboration in office spaces where meeting rooms and individual offices are separated by glass rather than walls.
• If privacy is required for certain offices, the glass can be tinted or frosted while still providing an open feel.
• Glass is a durable and timeless design element of an office space, so has less potential for needing to be replaced. This, and allowing natural light and warmth to flood a room, makes glass a cost-effective and energy-efficient material in office design.
Onlevel glass balustrades and partitioning products
Glass balustrades are versatile, contemporary additions to any office space. Typically located along stairways, balconies and exterior office spaces, glass balustrades offer an increasingly popular design choice.
The modular construction of the Onlevel glass balustrades gives architects and commercial interior designers a wealth of options for design and application. Frameless glass balustrades offer unrestricted views and offer a more open dimension to a room or balcony, while post and clamp glass balustrade systems also remain popular in office design.
Onlevel supply a range of glass partition products for offices. StarTrack is the first completely pre-assembled partition wall system for glass which reduces the cost of assembly. We also supply a range of standard U-Profile glass partition products of varying sizes for different applications.
Choose Onlevel for glass balustrades and glass partitioning products. For more information on how Onlevel can assist with your new office build project, get in touch.