ALUCOBOND Facade Acts as a Canvas for Beautiful Colour
The Murray Art Museum Albury [MAMA] is located in the heart of Albury’s central business district in New South Wales, Australia.
NBRS Architects developed the design which updated the existing heritage-listed Art Gallery building (approx. 1910) as well as the adjacent Burrows House (approx. 1870), and added a striking two-storey addition at the rear to accommodate major touring art exhibitions.
MAMA now offers flexible spaces for art exhibitions as well as a gallery shop, a cafe/ restaurant with an outdoor terrace, a youth members’ room, two workshops for public participation and an extensive collection store.
“I think people are just really amazed and so pleased to see the scale and the beauty of the architecture”, says Jaquié Hemsley – Director MAMA.
The Art Gallery boasts large flexible spaces with adjustable natural lights, controlled environmental conditions and removable walls.
One of the Art Gallery’s most recognisable features is the steel sculpture by Matt Harding on the outside of the building that lights up and changes colours on the ALUCOBOND® façade. The façade acts as a canvas and attracts those who are wandering through the city at night with a play of colours. The ALUCOBOND® cassettes not only reinforce the kaleidoscope of colours at night, but also ensure a tasteful artistic exterior during the day.
Technical Project Details
- Project: Murray Art Museum Gallery, Albary | Australia
- Architects: NBRS AND PARTNERS, Milsons Point, NSW | Australia
- Fabricator: Zauner Construction Pty Ltd, Lavington NSW | Australia
- Installer: Bond Pro, Shepparton VIC | Australia
- Façade System: Cassettes SZ20
- Year of Construction: 2015
- Product: ALUCOBOND® spectra white gold & red brass
- Photos: Simon Dallinger | Murray Art Museum Albury